There are many things that we are thankful for the year 2010. For some, it could be for good health, good business, good education, prosperous year, great career, or even having a great relationship. Let me thank some things that happened to me in the year 2010 especially in this sport that we all love - RUNNING!
Here are my 10 things that I am thankful for:
|my first race|
1. CCM 01-10-10 - this was my first race. Kumpare Kirk Milan invited me in September 2009, I wasn't able to join one race for that year. But luck is on my side. I was able to ran the first ever Cebu City Marahon in its 5K race. Since then, I was hooked! CCM 01-09-11 will be my Runniversary and will ran my very first Full Marathon!
2. 19 Races for 2010 - Yes! I have completed 19 races for this year. I actually signed up for more than that but I missed Run for IT, Run for the Footure, Hearts Run, MO Plus Run and RunRio Leg 3 due to time constraints and family emergency. But all in all, I've finished all 19 races (16 of these races are held in Cebu City, one at the Fort Bonifacio in Metro Manila, one in Danao, Bohol and another one in Dumaguete City) were done with sweat and tears and had my personal bests at that!
|Ungo runners after the CDU 5th University Run|
3. A Shoe Story: Running with Nikia - this is my blog which I started last May 2010. The blog title came up when I had my new shoes -- New Balance 749; got it from a friend a few days before the SRP Sundown Run and named her Nikia which means "people of victory".
4. Ungo - I am very thankful for my Ungo family. These runners have been very helpful and motivating all the way. I first joined last April and been active for a few months till I was into that Friday night running hiatus due to schedule constraints. Last August, I was able to run each Friday with this group. The Friday Night Runs from SunStar to IT Park is keeps us Ungo Runners bond together. Thanx to Max Limpag and the Ungo family for welcoming me.
5. Dailymile - I joined dailymile last April and since then, I was addicted to it. I already deactivated my Facebook page but now I am logging my miles in dailymile. Met new friends from here and abroad thru this social networking site for athletes and runners like me. Thank you DMers!
|me at the Milo 21K|
6. Two Pikermis - Yes! I've ran two half-marathons this year. My first was during the 34th Milo Marathon Cebu Eliminations last September 05. My second was last October during the CitiGym Halloween Run. I beat my personal best and I am thankful I was able to pace with Agz the whole race.
7. VFFs - I purchased my first Vibram Five Fingers (KSO Flow) last August and since then I was hooked to being a minimalist runner. I still use Nikia (NB 749) during transition running but most of my runs are with Phalangging (name I coined to my VFF. Thanx to Doc King2x Perez and Jacob Ong). I also purchased a second pair of VFFs (KSO Trek) and named him Spock (name courtesy of Doc Ling2x Abella). I will be running with Spock this CCM 2011.
8. TeamTytsBogdo - ah! my ever fun-loving TTB family! Who can forget this group emerged because of the love for running tights! Well, I got two tights now and I got a TTB family to motivate me every single run! Thank you TTB!
9. Unofficial Full Marathon and Beyond - I had the courage to finish 46.15 kms from JY Square to Balamban with my fellow Ungo runners. This was my longest run so far and I was running with Phalangging. Yes, on VFFs! See story here.
|@KM34 marker in Danao|
10. 34K Birthday Run - Since I wasn't able to join the RunRio Leg 3 32K Run with my fellow TTB mates in Manila due to Dad's hospital confinement, I opted to ran from Cebu City to Danao City for 34 kilometers -- that's 1KM per year of my existence. Next year, I will do it again. Of course, adding 1KM!
"Sayang ang Miles" - as quoted by TTB mate Eric Agaton, sayang jud ang miles! From my first 5K race in 01-10-10 up to this afternoon's year-ender run, I was able to run a distance of 838.52 kilometers. Since I joined Dailymile in April, I was able to log 804 kilometers.
These are just 10 things that I am thankful for. I know there are still lots to thank for but I'll just keep it this way. But most of all, I am thankful that the Lord gave me the strength and the courage to finish all the races, all the training runs, for all the blessings, the pains, the sores, the heat, the friends, the love, the spirit, the faith. Without Him, I am nothing. Thank you Lord!
Thank you all! May each of us be blessed with good health as we enter a new year. All the best for 2011!