Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Birthday Run

I really wanted to ran on my birthday.... and to ran  1 kilometer per year of my life. 


I was invited by fellow TTB members for the RunRio Leg 3 November 21 and ran 32K at that. I said to myself that this race will be very timely as I will turn 34 by the day before the race. But to back track, I was supposed to go home to Dumaguete and ran at the Dumaguete City 3/4 Marathon. Anyhow, I was fully prepared for the RunRio 32K run. But luck isn't on my side as my Dad was confined at the hospital a day before my birthday. His blood pressure shoot up. So there I was throwing away the excitement of running for the 2nd time in Manila.


But I realized that family comes first. Of course I had to take care of my Dad and I decided not to join RunRio and gave my race bib and D-Tag to RH Runner Daryl Igot. Later I knew it was fellow Ungo Runner April Dagandan who ran for my race number (thanx April!). So yeah! Family always should come first!

And while all of my TTB running mates were excited in their Manila trip, I was at the hospital to take care of my Dad. But the itchiness of my feet prevailed as I decided to ran on my birthday as my dad was resting at the hospital. He actually knew first hand that that was my goal that day. So I decided to use Nikia and ran on my birthday!

Katol @ pan break
What made it more special is that I was able to ran with friends who supported me in my birthday run. I ran with Agz from KM0 to Consolacion while Doc King2x and Adz waited for us. We had a short pan break at Julies and ran again. We were heading North and hoping to reach the KM34 mark in time for lunch. 

Doc King2x & Agz at Km17
Adz decided to be our support crew along with his cute dog. The 3 of us ran and did some "find the kilometer marker" game. It was basically a very relaxed run -- lots of walk breaks, re-hydration, chi (ka) running and buko juice break. We are even laughed our asses off when we see signs of food like lechon or local delicacies. We can't help but envy and feel hungry!

Each kilometer marker was an achievement for us as we slowly paced on the road amidst the dust, the heat and some reckless drivers of vehicles passing by. But inspite of all these, I was determined to finish the run and grab hold of the KM34 marker.

Most of the time, we are just goofing ourselves and take photos when we reach a significant marker. Adz gladly waited for us every 2kms to offer water. He was indeed a big help.


Doc King2x @ buko juice break -- Adz giving water to sweetyms Dockie

Reaching the Goal

The last 2 kilometers was very sloooooow as we are already dragging ourselves. I felt slight pain in my right big toe already. I said to myself that someday I will say goodbye to my big toe. My left big toe said goodbye to me when I conquered the 46.15kms ran from JY to Balamban last September.


I was so excited to see the KM32 marker. Inspite of he heat, we were still able to smile to get a photo of ourselves. And we know that the last 2 kms will be another achievement for us. And of course, we can't help but getting hungrier as we pass by some food stands.

Seeing the KM34 marker past Danao City was a sight to behold. I can't explain the exact feeling at that very moment. All I can think of is how happy I am to reach my goal that day and I am very happy to achieve it with my friends. 

Happy Birthday to me!
A very yummy lunch awaited us at the fish port. A nice treat to ourselves. The long run paid off. My birthday run was a success. 

Thank you to Agz and Doc King2x and Adz for their warm support during my birthday run. Another tick off in my bucket list. Another personal achievement. 

Thank you Lord for giving me more life to my years and more years to my life. 


I turned 34 years old last November 20, 2010. I figured... my age is just a number. :-)



NEXT STOP: Adrian Catingub's 33KM Birthday Run on December 19, 2010

6 comments:

  1. Very nice way to spend your birthday katz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated birthday greeting, Katol! You still have many running years ahead. Enjoy and run safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katol, what a great post. I remembered so well when you told me about your dad while I was in Cebu. Certainly, all of us could understand why you chose to stay in Cebu and do a birthday run with friends. Family always comes first with me as well.

    Doing a 34km is an amazing feat. I'm grateful that we met through Daily Mile. Thanks again for welcoming me to Cebu during the four day stay. You and everyone I met were fantastic. It was a humbling experience and something that won't be forgotten. Take care Katol and we'll talk soon!

    ReplyDelete

Tags

#85 01-09-11 01-10-10 1-10-10 10-10-10 1000kms 100kms 10K 11K 15K 1st Call Center Run 1st Cebu UltraMarathon 2 bridges 21K 2348 3 bridges 34th Milo Marathon 3K 42K 46.15kms 4th Auto Review Run for Road Safety and Courtesy 5K 64K Ultramarathon 65K Ultramarathon Abellana Aboitiz Race to Reduce Accenture Accenture Running Club Adrian Catingub Adz Agz Aherk Aijeigh Alex Junia All Saints' Day all souls day angst Annie Neric Any Given Sunday ARC Bacong baker's hill Balamban LSD beach run bigchiz Birthday Run Bonifacio Global City Boying BRC Brodie Wise Bucket List candle Cansaga carbo-loading CCC CCM 2011 CCM2012 Cebu City Marathon 2011 Cebu Executive Runners Club CebuRunning CERC cheez burgers Coast to Coast Ultramarathon Coffeecat conquer the hill dagan Dahilayan dailymile Dailymile Tri-City Run Dailymilers DARS DM Doc King2x Doc Reel Doc Reel Bontol Doc Tata donuts Dumaguete City E.A.T. Danao EAT Danao Energizer Nite Race Energizer Nite Run Eric Agaton Estan Cabigas First Marahon Friday Night Run FunnyBogdo Futsal Gary V. Haide Acuna Hotlegs Runner huarache iamkatol Jacob Ong Joy Polloso KAI Sandals kaon Kapamilya Run 2010 Kapuso Kassy Katol Kirk KSRP KT Tape Leo Ironman Leon Kilat's Retreat Looney Tunes Run LSD Manolito Saldivar Maple Tree Foundation Mary Anne Salomon Max Limpag meal break run Merry Christmas Mikaela Milo Cebu Route Milo Marathon Mitch Jala Mommy Twinkle Natash Cang NegOr Sprint Triathlon new balance 749 new PR Nike Nikia October Pink Run 2010 Onze palawan Phalangging PIA pinay in action Pink Planet Sports Run PR Prodigal Runner puerto princesa QueenBogdo quota run Reel Running reflections Rey Maribao RH Runners rotary run Run 4 Q Run for Pasig Run for Q Run for Sight Run for the Footure run to the max 3 Runcheck Runner's Circle Runners' World Running Runniversary Runnr RunRio Silliman Cebu Alumni Silliman Run 2010 Silliman University Singapore SK Runners SLD snake island SRP SRP Sundown Run Standard Chartered Marathon suroy TBR Dream Marathon Team Powerpuff Boys Team Reborn Team Tyts Bogdo Team Yellow Jersey TeamTytsBogdo TG The Blind Runner The Bull Runner The Dailymile Runners The Great Lapu-Lapu Run the last frontier The Running Lawyer Think Pink Thrill of the Trail Bohol Titanium Runner TNF Tracker trail run TTB Tuesday Group Twinkle underground river Ungo Ungo Triathlon Ungo TTB Ungo. Ungo Futsal Team University Run Unofficial Full Marathon VFF Flow VFF KSO Flow VFF KSO Trek VSMMC Wayne Plymale Wonder Colili Yellow Jersey ZipZone
Powered By Blogger