With about three weeks before the Cebu City Marathon, every runner who is training for this running event should be starting in their tapering week.
Last Saturday, when I was responding to Wayne Plymale's questions for his runner feature blog, a lady asked if I am joining the running clinic at the Active Zone in Ayala. She actually noticed that I was wearing my VFF KSO Trek. I gladly said yes to her. She then introduced herself as Marie Calica, the editor in chief of Runners' World Philippines.
With Marie was Beth Siojo, a mult-awarded triathlete, a serial marathoner, and a columnist of Runners' World Philippines. Beth shared to us that the final three weeks are the most important weeks in any marathon program.
Here are some tips that I learned from her discussion:
- stick with the same running schedule but decrease total mileage from last week by at least 20 percent
- take in a lot of protein
- buy the shoes you plan to wear in the marathon, and wear them on most of your runs until race day
- on the day before the race, jog around 3K to take the edge off your pent-up energy so you'll sleep better that night
- do carbo-loading in the last 3 days before the race
- be sure to prepare your race outfit, shoes, timing chip, number, bag and map to the start are set out the night before the race day
- eat light at least 2 hours before the race, such as oatmeal or a banana
I can't recall the others things anymore. But at least I get to learn some from the expert. :-)
On another note, we celebrated the birthday of fellow Ungo runner Adrian Catingub with a 33K run. That was our last LSD prior to taper week. We ran from Consolacion to Catmon and finished off with good food and beach time.
|Birthday Run with Adz (guy beside the KM33 marker)|
Well, it's Taper Time indeed. But goodluck to all this Christmas season. Lots of food and carbs await us but just remember to eat light and burn those calories.